top of page

Huntly Memorial Baptist
Church History

In 1954, a Methodist couple named Mr. & Mrs. Eugene Huntly donated part of their farm for a building lot. Friends of the Huntly’s, Mr. & Mrs. Ed Dreher, bought an adjoining plot of ground and donated it to ensure adequate space for a building and parking.  The property was part of an apple orchard, and the trees were in full bloom when groundbreaking began in May 1955.  It was to be a simple white structure.  The Reverend Ray McCoy of First Baptist Church and other people from the Barron Lake area were instrumental in starting this mission church.  The church was named in memory of Mr. Huntly, who passed away the day before the organizational meeting.  Officers were chosen, and it was decided that services would be held at Howard School until the structure was complete.

 

On May 4, 1955, thirty-four (34) members of First Baptist Church were designated to become charter members of Huntly Memorial Baptist Church.  On Christmas Eve 1955, the first service was held in the little white church. It was a Christmas play entitled "The Bethlehem Inn."

Reverend Ray McCoy served as the first pastor from September 1955 until May 1956 while continuing his duties at First Baptist Church of Niles.

Reverend Ray McCoy had an old school bus he used to pick up children in the Barron Lake area and take them to Sunday School.

 

On June 1, 1956, Rev. Norman A. Sundwall became the first full-time pastor of Huntly Memorial Baptist Church. The church was now in need of a parsonage. Mrs. Eugene Huntly sold the church a plot of land for $900.00 to be paid back at $20.00 monthly. She also donated the first payment. The church financed a loan of $9,500.00, and, as usual, members and friends of the church provided the labor to build the parsonage.

 

In 1960, Rev. Lindland and his family came to serve at Huntly Memorial.  They were missionaries in Zaire who were driven out by the revolution.  The church received much publicity because the Lindlands were in high demand for speaking at other churches and clubs in the area.  Pastor Lindland resigned on July 31, 1962, to return to his old mission post in Zaire.

In 1962, Pastor John Tolly was called from Leslie, Michigan. Over the next few years, the church experienced considerable growth, and by 1964, the building committee recommended building a 20’x60’ addition with a full basement.  The addition was completed in 1966. In 1967, Huntly Memorial Baptist Church received second place recognition for "Church of the Year" in the membership category up to 200 members from the Michigan Baptist Convention. There were now 133 members.

 

In October 1972, the pulpit committee recommended Rev. Ronald Smith of Eldredge, Iowa, after Pastor Tolly resigned to become a full-time teacher at Niles Community School System. With all the new interest and growth, the church purchased three buses to bring children to Sunday School. In 1973, the building committee recommended a new construction project to include Sunday School classes and a recreation hall for social events. The Social Hall was dedicated in September 1975.  The church experienced good growth under the guidance of Rev. Ronald Smith until he resigned in July 1978. His son, Pastor Michael Smith, fills the pulpit as the preaching pastor.

Huntly Memorial
Baptist Church

269-683-8801

huntlychurch@gmail.com

1139 Huntly Road

Niles, MI 49120

  • White YouTube Icon
  • White Facebook Icon

Thanks for submitting!

©2025 by Huntly Memorial Baptist Church

bottom of page